Re: Upstream source merge only when building Debian source (was: Bits from the Debian PyCon Hangout)

On Apr 15, 2015, at 09:05 AM, Ben Finney wrote:

>I use the “merge when building the source package” workflow, where the
>upstream source is a tarball outside the working tree, not part of the
>Debian packaging VCS at all.
>
>See ‘git-buildpackage(1)’, the ‘--git-overlay’ option.
>
>Is that still a wholly compatible workflow with what is being proposed?

I think so, but I haven't played with --git-overlay.

git-dpm (which I am advocating) really wants the git branch to contain
everything.  It makes switching to the patches branch work well.  The git-dpm
work flow seems (IMO) to make package development a lot like upstream
development, since you just fix the code in the patches branch and the tool
takes care of generating the quilt patches for you.

Cheers,
-Barry