howto strip an install_requires with pybuild

Hello, I am working on the silx package and the upstream install_requires is sort of wrong.
It depends on the hdf5plugin, which is not necessary on Debian.

the purpose of this hdf5plugin is to register an hdf5 pluging when it is uploaded.
the code of the  application use a try execpt in order to work without this package installer.
the upstream want the full install to be  contain the hdf5plugin.

On Debian we just install the libhdf5-plugin-<x> packages and that's it.

So my question is do we have a way to STRIP an install_requires via pybuild (like dpkg-buildflags)
or must I patch the build system and keep this patch forever :)

the real problem is due to the entry_point generated which refuse to start  the applciation due to the missing
hdf5plugin.

Cheers

Frederic