Re: pybuild-autopkgtest (was: Notes from the DC22 Python Team BoF)

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 03:37:50PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On July 26, 2022 2:50:19 PM UTC, Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> wrote:

> >> I've been looking at this a bit more.  I'm not sure what this last
> >> paragraph means: the new "automated" autopkgtest will only be run if
> >> the maintainer explicitly adds:
> >>
> >> Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild
> >>
> >> to debian/control (see the autodep8 MR at
> >> https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autodep8/-/merge_requests/27/diffs -
> >> it will never automatically detect a pybuild package).
> >> And a maintainer would presumably only add that if they are also
> >> removing their existing debian/tests/control (or want to run the
> >> pybuild tests in addition).
> >>
> >> An alternative would be for the autodep8 patch to try to determine
> >> whether to run pybuild-autopkgtest.  One approach could be:
> >>
> >> if the package would run autopkgtest-pkg-python:
> >>   if debian/control does not contain an override_dh_auto_test stanza:
> >>     run pybuild-autopkgtest
> >>
> >> Note, though, that if autodep8 is called, it will run all of the
> >> detected tests.  (At least that is what I believe happens from reading
> >> /usr/bin/autodep8; I haven't double-checked this.)  So, for example,
> >> if a package specifies
> >>
> >> Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-python
> >>
> >> it will also run the autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild suite as it will be
> >> detected as being a Python package, and vice versa.  That is a
> >> possible reason *not* to use the above suggestion, as it would
> >> potentially run pybuild-autopkgtest even if not desired.
> >
> >I think the notes did not capture the consensus correctly. The point was
> >that it should be possible to automate updating the `Testsuite:` field
> >to run tests with pybuild-autopkgtest, and that we should probably do
> >that across team packages with the help of some scripting.
>
> I suppose this is fine as long as whoever does it fixes all the resulting RC bugs.

Well the idea is to only actually commit the change and upload the
package with the new Testsuite value after ensuring that actually works,
i.e. that the autopkgtest passes.

We are not suggesting to do this blindly across the packages, sorry for
not making that clear.