Re: Notes from the DC22 Python Team BoF

On 2022-07-27 03 h 52, Thomas Goirand wrote:
On 7/25/22 09:37, Julian Gilbey wrote:
On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 07:52:19PM +0200, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
Hey folks,

We had a Python Team BoF at DC22 earlier today and I thought relaying the
notes we took in gobby here would be a good idea.

Thanks for the notes, Louis-Philippe, and sorry I couldn't join you!

A few comments....

== python3.11 ==

python3.11 release has been delayed, from october 2022 to december 2022.
[...]

My 2 cents' worth is as the 3.9->3.10 transition took several months,
and was quite complicated, it is not wise to attempt the 3.10->3.11
before the freeze.  We could then potentially go straight to 3.12 a
few months after the bookworm freeze rather than going to 3.11 first.
And that will probably be quite painful.

I agree, also because 3.10 wont be EOL before Bookworm becomes LTS.

As I said during the BoF, I'm also in favor of sticking with 3.10 for bookworm.

I think we should aim for a stable Python ecosystem. Using the time we have left to iron out bugs and failures in our packages for 3.10 sounds like a much better decision than trying to fix a ton of RC bugs for 3.11 in time for the final freeze.

However, it's quite tempting to upgrade to 3.11 because:
- our users will prefer having the latest stable release of Python in our latest release, rather than an old version.
- 3.11 has many optimization (it's said to be 25% faster)

So if we can at least TRY, it's not a so bad idea... Hopefully, we can take the decision to reverse if needed.

AFAIU, doko said it was pretty hard to go back, since that meant recompiling pretty much all the python extensions.

I'd much rather we don't waste tons of energy trying to get 3.11 and then deciding it's not working. We know we only have a 2-3 months window of opportunity to make the transition, IMO that's too short.

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau