Re: Review of Debian package pystray

On 2022-10-21 23 h 28, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
Hello,

This is my review of the pystray package you asked the Debian Python Team to sponsor in the Debian archive.

1. I doubt d/README.source is needed, as this is a team-maintained package and most of that info is in the Policy :)

2. in d/rules, you are using "override_dh_sphinxdoc" and then calling dh_sphinxdoc.

You should instead use "execute_before_dh_sphinxdoc".

3. You are not running any upstream tests, neither at build not as autopkgtests.

Tests are very important. How do you know your package isn't broken, or has not been broken by a change in the archive? Only tests can tell you that.

I see you've noted that some tests require user confirmations and it indeed seems to be the case for most of the ones in icon_tests.py.

* is there a way to bypass this or are those tests simply not relevant in a automated environment?

* what about menu_descriptor_tests.py? I gave it a very cursory look, but it doesn't seem to use the confirm() function. Trying to run it gives me an  "Xlib.error.DisplayNameError: Bad display name" error though, so chances are you'd need to run tests with xvfb to mock an X session.

Note that it is my personal policy not to sponsor packages that do not run upstream tests. I make some exceptions for unusual cases (this might be one?), but rarely.

Some other people might not be as rigid as I am on this, but I thought you should know.

-------------------

That's it! I've removed your package from the sponsor queue for now, but feel free to re-add it when you feel like you've dealt with my review.

Apart from the test problem, this is a pretty good package!

Thanks for you contribution to Debian.

Hello,

I've taken another look at pystray.

First of all, next time, please don't force push, it made it harder to know what had changed since my last review and I had to start from scratch :(

The autopkgtests are currently failing. I suspect you are not running those locally when you are building the package? It's fairly easy to do on sbuild [1] and I would highly recommend you add this to your standard build process.

In any case, I get the following error:

E   Xlib.error.DisplayNameError: Bad display name ""

I see you patched the upstream code to be able to run the tests at build (kudos). I suspect either dependencies are missing in the autopkgtest, or you aren't passing your TEST_SKIP_INTERACTIVE var there.

In either case, those tests need to pass, otherwise the package won't migrate to testing.

Note that:

1. You have duplicate build-dep entries in d/control
2. Your d/salsa-ci.yml file is currently skipping autopkgtests

I would've have fixed those before uploading, but with the failing autopkgtests it seems we'll need another back-and-forth round anyway.

Cheers,

[1]: Look for "run_autopkgtest = 1" in /etc/sbuild/sbuild.conf

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau