Re: Python 3.11 for bookworm?

On 12/13/22 10:57, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:
Am 13.12.2022 10:15 schrieb Timo Röhling:
One remaining problem is the unmaintained nose package
[...]
done some work patching up nose

This question is just for my learning: Why is nose patched? Upstream nose is unmaintained for years.

I understand that you cannot drop nose from Debian in the current situation of a freeze in one months and so many dependencies.

But isn't there a Debian process/workflow to "warn" package maintainers about an upcoming package drop of one of there dependend packages to put some pressure into it? Looking into the list of over 200 packages I see this also as a chance to clean out some other unmaintained (and maybe not so important) packages from the Debian repo.

It's unfortunately sometimes a bit harder than what one may think. Removing Nose from (build-)depends in some cases is hard, and IMO we started this process a way too late. Hopefully, Trixie will be nose-free! In the mean time, it is unfortunately my opinion that it's too late for Bookworm and that we must keep Nose for one more release.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)