Re: Updating khal to fix RC bug #1023341

Hello Jonas,

On 16/12/2022 18:51, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

As you might have noticed by now, I took the liberty of releasing my
changes when I understood what was going on - because by then I had a
functioning package ready for upload.

Thanks you did the right thing, thanks for taking care of khal, unfortunately I was able to look at this list only now and your last email just arrived to my MUA after I sent my previous one.

It was multiple layers of cause for confusion:

First layer: Upstream uses setuptools-scm to resolve release version,
which is bad because it makes assumptions about things outside of the
project - specifically it interacts with VCS (meta)data and assumed that
is not replaced by that of another distro by the time the project is
built.  So our packaging patches away the use of setuptools-scm.

Second layer: Our replacement involved grep'ing for upstream release
version from file PKG-INFO which, as you correctly point out, is missing
from upstream tarball.  It was however included in previous upstream
tarball, so this is an upstream change.  So our replacement needed to be
adjusted (to now instead grep CHANGELOG). >
Third layer: Debian build routines call clean target regardless if
patches are applied or unapplied.  Our patch affects dh_auto_clean so
our replacement is extended with checking if patch is applied and
skipping dh_auto_clean when it isn't.  This makes it appear as if our
"clean" target succeeds easily leading to the wrong assumption (at least
for me) that it must be something upstream that fails - something
mysteriously looking for a missing PKG-INFO file...

Hope that was understandable.

Many thanks, it is know: I was lost between second and third layer!

I have now updated our replacement routines plus a range of other
householding changes, and released the new packaging release.

Thanks for this!

Thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention.  In fact I had old work
lying around locally from July 30th that had stalled at that exact same
failure, so I myself was evidently baffled as well (and then got
distracted by something else), despite my having introduced the patch
myself.

We are a team. ;)

...so I have now also sprinkled a few comments in debian/rules file, to
aid future baffld Debian maintainers.
countless

Cheers,

--