Re: #!/usr/bin/python3 vs virtualenv

On 2023-03-03 15:29:09 -0500 (-0500), Jorge Moraleda wrote:
> Would it be hard to support both philosophies?
>
> I would like to suggest a couple of configuration options that by default
> disallow using pip outside a virtual environment but that users with root
> privilege can modify by editing a config file (probably somewhere in /etc)
> and that would enable using pip outside a virtual environment, both as root
> and as regular user respectively.
>
> I feel this would satisfy the needs of regular users to be protected
> against accidentally breaking their system while enabling power users to
> have full control of their computer and enjoy the simplicity of a single
> environment. Clearly this discussion suggests that debian has both types of
> users and we should support them both if we can.
[...]

"Power users" who like to break their systems can simply `sudo pip
install --break-system-packages foo` or even just `sudo rm
/usr/lib/python3.11/EXTERNALLY-MANAGED` and then do whatever they
want anyway. It doesn't seem to me like there's much need for a
config option that does that for you, and adding one would imply
that Debian will help you fix things once you've done it. This
feature is simply a guard rail for users who otherwise wouldn't know
where the edge of that cliff is located.

There are already solutions for your power users, but as is often
said in such situations: If it breaks you get to keep the pieces.
Have fun!
--
Jeremy Stanley