Re: DebConf 23: Python BoF

On Sunday, September 10, 2023 1:23:12 AM EDT Stefano Rivera wrote:
> We have scheduled a Python BoF at DebConf23:
> https://debconf23.debconf.org/talks/27-python-bof/
> It will be on Sep 16 (Sat): at 10:30 local time (05:00 - 05:45 UTC)
>
> I started getting together an agenda in:
> https://pad.dc23.debconf.org/p/27-python-bof
> Please help me to build it out.

As of today (assuming my count approach worked correctly), there are 5,118
source packages in Debian that B-D/B-D-I dh-python.  Of those, only 813 B-D/B-
D-I pybuild-plugin-pyproject.  I think it's very premature to be considering
something at 20% usage for any kind of default.

I don't think it's a good idea in any case.  The only advantage I can see is
that people would not have to add pybuild-plugin-pyproject to B-D/B-D-I
anymore.  If the build backend is anything other than setuptools, people will
still have to add that, so I don't see much of an advantage here.  In cases
where both setup.py and pyproject.toml are provided, these packages might
start to FTBFS.

On the disadvantage side, any package that does use setuptools has a
pyproject.toml that has not been migrated by the maintainer (packages with
both setup.py and pyproject.toml are not rare) will be automatically switched
with unpredictable results.  The best case scenario is nothing changes.

I don't really see a lot of upside here.  Let's not.

We have lintian checks to let maintainers know they can update to the newer
system.  I think that's sufficient.

Scott K