Re: Transitionning to the lextudio pysnmp / pyasn1 ecosystem

On September 16, 2023 4:48:46 PM UTC, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>On 9/15/23 14:03, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> Why did you hijack this from the Python team instead of just working with the
>> existing maintainers to update the existing packages from the new upstream
>> location?
>>
>> Scott K
>
>Thanks for replying to the original question ... :)
>
>If the current maintainer was interested, they had plenty of time to work on this (it's been nearly a year that lextudio took over). It doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.
>
>If someone wants to take over my work, please do (and write in this thread saying you're working on it...), it's not too late. I take care of too many packages already, I'd love if someone stepped in.

It's pretty relevant to your question.  If you had instead updated the existing packages from the new upstream, no transition would be needed.

Did you check with the existing maintainers to see what they thought?  Were they even aware of the new upstream work (it's happened to me before that I was unaware of such a switch)?

As is usually the case in Debian, I think the answer is you work with the maintainers to figure out the best solution.  Ignoring them and hijacking the packages is not the right answer.

Scott K