Re: lesstif2 to motif transition

Hi Paul

I think the testing went very well.  As we suspected, most packages only required changing the build-depends on lesstif2-dev to libmotif-dev.  There were a few that required the addition of libxt-dev and one or two that required libxext-dev and libxp-dev (although we should try to remove that dependency).

Cernlib depends on libpacklib-lesstif1-dev and libpawlib-lesstif3-dev from paw and pcb depends on its own pcb-lesstif, these packages should probably be renamed.

Do -dev packages normally get transitional packages?  I can't think of a situation where that would be useful.
Ideally we need all of the packages that depend on lesstif2 to be rebuilt against libmotif.  When a user upgrades they will then get libmotif which conflicts with lesstif2 and it will be removed.
If a user was developing with lesstif2-dev it would be removed due to the conflict above, but they would not have been able to continue building against libmotif-dev without making changes anyway.

Regards
Graham

On 7 May 2013 07:14, Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Graham,

On 06-05-13 23:01, Paul Gevers wrote:
> My proposal would be (with your approval) to just get motif into
> unstable/main and start converting the dependencies with the help of
> their maintainers (the libraries can coexist). Because the -dev package
> name has to change all build dependencies would have to get a
> source-full update. I would have liked to stage everything in
> experimental, but due to this (quoted from ftp-master) nasty dak bug,
> that would leave unstable (non-free) without (open-)motif.

I was thinking, how well did it go with your building of all reverse
dependencies, and how well would it work if lesstif2-dev would be a
transitional package that depends on libmotif-dev? If that would work at
all, I think that is a good alternative to my proposal above.

Paul