Re: GnomeMeeting 0.12.2 versus 0.85.1

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:44:16AM +0100, Sander Smeenk wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> $upstream = "Damien Sandras" <dsandras@seconix.com>
>
> I am the maintainer of GnomeMeeting and recently $upstream contacted me
> and told me only version 0.12.2 of GnomeMeeting was available in stable
> && testing while 0.85.x has been released since and (long?) before
> latest 'stable' was released.
>
> Now I too am wondering why 0.85 never made it into stable / testing.

Probably because it was unable to build on some archs that it has
been built for earlier.

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?excuse=gnomemeeting

This can give you some hint on what needs to be done in order
to make it into testing.

> I might have a clue tho. Since $upstream switched to Gnome2 with v0.9x
> releases of GnomeMeeting while I was still packaging v0.8x releases of
> GnomeMeeting, I decided it would not be nice to force all users of
> GnomeMeeting to switch to the Gnome2 version while Gnome2 at that time
> was very unstable and expirimental, so I created a new package called
> gnomemeeting2, which surprisingly brought people the Gnome2 version.

This sounds more like an indication on why it should made it into
testing and stable.

> At later stages of development, Gnome2 became more and more stable, and
> $upstream didn't work on the Gnome1 version of GnomeMeeting anymore, so
> bugs didn't get fixed, I decided to repackage the 'gnomemeeting' package
> with the Gnome2 version of GnomeMeeting and asked for the deletion of
> gnomemeeting2 from the archive. So it happened.

Maybe you just had bad timing. :)

> Maybe this switch has to do with GnomeMeeting 0.85.1 not being in
> testing/stable? For example, if I check on auric:
>
> | [18:29] [ssmeenk@auric:~] % madison gnomemeeting
> | gnomemeeting |   0.93.1-3 |      unstable | alpha, arm, hppa, ia64,
> |                                             m68k, powerpc, s390, sparc
> | gnomemeeting |   0.94.1-1 |      unstable | source, i386
> | [18:29] [ssmeenk@auric:~] %
>
> It only lists unstable...
>
> Now, what I want to ask:
>
> Is it possible to get GnomeMeeting 0.85.1 in testing and maybe even
> stable? It has quite alot of bugfixes from $upstream, and even some
> package improvements and overal, GnomeMeeting 0.85.1 is better at
> supporting converstations with NetMeeting and other (newer) versions of
> GnomeMeeting.

In stable would probably not be accepted. Testing should be possible
just fix the current issues that hold it back. :)

> So, what do I need to do to get GnomeMeeting 0.85.x in testing and maybe
> even stable?

Fix the build problems on some architectures like sparc etc.

> I myself, and Damien think it's better for Debian to have v0.85.x.

Or the one in unstable. :)

> Please let me know. I am subscribed to this list.

Regards,

// Ola