Re: pending-tag?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:01:34PM +0100, Cord Beermann wrote:
> Hallo! Du (Colin Watson) hast geschrieben:
> >I often use the pending tag as a note to myself that the bug is fixed in
> >upstream CVS (no matter how far away upstream are from an actual
> >release), so I would rather that they were left alone. It's fair enough
> >to revisit them occasionally in the case of high-severity bugs, though.
>
> | pending
> |   The problem described in the bug is being actively worked on, i.e. a
> |   solution is pending.
>
> so it shows you that the bug is solved somewhere. But this won't help
> Joe Debianuser. Even if 'pending' is there for weeks.

I always state when doing so that the fix is in upstream's repository; I
usually quote the change comment. The repository is generally public.
And anyway, the point of tags as I see it is to help me categorize my
bugs.

> My opinion: If you don't want to release a fixed version for a problem,
> but a solution is known, you should add that fix to the BTS and tag it
> 'patch'.

If you're interested in how the maintainer chooses to manage his bugs in
the way that helps him be most effective, I think you should mail the
relevant bug report and ask. I don't see why a maintainer wouldn't quote
the patch if asked.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use 'pending' so that bugs I've
already solved upstream or already know to be solved upstream are
conveniently separated from the ones I've yet to work on. I'm certain
that this helps me be a more effective maintainer (with large packages
it makes me feel less snowed under and clearly calls out the bugs that
still need work), and I strongly believe that it helps others do the
same, so I honestly don't see a cause for complaint. I expect anybody
with questions to ask me; I'll gladly answer.

Cheers,