Re: Future of rocks-n-diamonds

On Sunday 25 January 2004 12:26 pm, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Hi,
> rocks-n-diamonds is quite a cool tool. However, the version in Debian
> is rather old, and also violates the social contract.
>
> So, how do you plan the future of rocks-n-diamonds? If I can help you,
> please tell me. I'd like if you can fix these bugs. However, if you'll
> not be able to fix the bug in near future, please consider to orphan
> this package.
>

> Cheers,
> Andi

The package is already orphaned and there have been at least three attempts at
adopting it.

The problem is that the ustream author doesn't feel the questionable content
is a problem.  Whoever adopts it has to go through and pick out all the
unlicensed content.  For some items that should be very straightforward.  The
music loops, for instance, obviously have to be removed.  Other items, like
the tile sets and levels you'd have to make a judgement call on each image.
Even if you purge every last bit of commercial content, you'd still have to
go through all the add-on tiles and sounds to make sure they didn't reuse
content from the original tiles and sounds.

I happen to think this is a great game, but there's no way I'd sign a
rocks-n-diamonds package until the upstream author says it's 100% clean.

I'd prefer to see rocks-n-diamonds and mirror-magic dropped until these issues
are addressed upstream.

John Lightsey