Re: plans on orphaning / removing packages not in testing

* Matthew Palmer [Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:12:22 +1000]:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:28:04PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> > I wish more people had an attitude like this.  Maybe it would make
> > sense to ask people on d-d-a to review their own new packages and
> > consider whether it makes sense to release them, but I doubt many
> > people would be as honest[*] as you.

> I'd write the e-mail something along these lines:

> Release is coming [blah blah blah]

> We ask that everyone objectively consider whether their own packages are in
> a fit state for release.  Reasons for not releasing them include:

  then do not many orphaned packages (if not most) fit into one of the
  proposed resons and should be removed from testing?

  I think many packages could benefite from this in-the-middle approach:
  instead of completely removing them from debian or letting them get
  released with stable, they just stay in unstable and never migrate.

  it would not be keeping them "just for the shake of keeping them"
  either. it would be keeping those that may be of some interest for
  some users, but which don't qualify as release quality and are not
  being maintained at all (except for sporadic QA uploads).

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

The total accumulated knowledge of all the men that ever walked the Earth
on the topic of women can fit in the period at the end of this sentence.