Re: Orphaned games

Jack T Mudge III wrote:
On Friday 31 August 2007 03:47, tim hall wrote:
It's not really very 3D is it? A package with this name should be
providing a 'proper' 3D chess experience.

3D here doesn't refer to graphics :). It's gameplay is like 3 chessboards at once, except that you can move the pieces between boards.

Personally, I love 3D chess. If any of these games are low on playability, it's not 3D chess (but I haven't really played the others...)

I wasn't making a judgement on the game itself, just the name.
IMO most users expect '3D' to mean the kind of graphics you might build and render with Blender and deliver using OpenGL. The fact that you feel the need to explain the difference proves to me that it's a misnomer.

As a Sysadmin I have received this complaint multiple times: "OSX has 3D chess, The new version of Windows (allegedly) now has it. I clicked on the 3D chess menu entry and I get this multi-board 2D game that I wasn't looking for. Why is Linux so crap?"

I'm not actually being stupid here, I now feel the need to quote Jethro Tull:
"And your wise men don't know how it fee-e-ee-e-ee-e-e-e-eeels
to be thick as a brick."

I know I really need to argue this with the upstream author and eventual new maintainer. Discussing it here is probably a slight waste of time.

Thank you for engaging me in this slightly OT discussion anyway. :)

cheers,

tim