Re: Oldlibs: libttf2

Barry deFreese <bddebian@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just an update on the libttf2 issues.  These are the last packages left
> depending on libttf2:
>
> xgdvi, tex-guy, spawx11, spawg - Source package tex-guy. Haven't looked
> to deep into these yet.
>
> vgrabbj - Builds without libttf but disables functionality.  Package has
> RC bugs and hasn't seen an upload since 2006.  No rdepends/rbdepends.
> Popcon is 433.
>
> vflib2 - RM: filed now that dvi2ps has been updated. (Thanks for dvi2ps
> OHURA!)
>
> vflib3 - As far as I can tell upstream has been static since 2006 on
> this one.
>
> perlftlib - This thing has been orphaned since 2004 and is RC buggy.
> I've tried to port it without much success even with some help from
> freetype.org folks. I
> can't find an upstream source any more. However it has a high popcon.
> (libft-perl has 9511 installs).  Which makes little sense since fttools
> has only 803 installs and it is the only package depending on libft-perl.
>
> Anyway, I have copied Michael and OHURA since you two seem to be the
> maintainers for the remaining packages (Except for perlftlib of course
> which belongs to Debian QA at the moment).
>
> Any help/thoughts/pointers on getting rid of libttf2 would be appreciated.

Most packages have been removed from Lenny by now. Please see my recent
mail to debian-release and the followups:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/05/msg00118.html

What you could do (I planned to do it myself, but openssl came along):

File bugs on packages build-depending on freetype1-tools and test/
provide patches to fix them to use freetype2-demos instead:

latex-cjk-chinese-arphic
apt-howto
debian-reference
maint-guide

Also some packages are fixed in unstable, but haven't migrated to
testing yet:

pike7.6 (currently blocked by perl transition)
webalizer (only 7/10 days old)

Cheers,
        Moritz