Re: removing transitional packages

Hi Thijs, QA Team,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> wrote:
> I recently stubled over an transitional package in etch that was still in
> lenny. I could have filed a bug but wondered if there was any
> structural "scan" being done on packages marked as "transitional" or "dummy"
> in etch and still present in Lenny. If not, maybe someone is interested in
> picking this up? I think now would be a good time to clean up some etch cruft
> before lenny freezes further.

As discussed with my AM (Bernd, in CC) this could be an interesting
task for my T&S.

A draft of the plan, could be:

1. identify transitional packages and their replacements
2. identify packages with dependencies (at any level) on some transitional pkgs
3. fill wishlist bug reports to request the switch (and track the evolution)
4. identify transitional packages in etch, and ask for their removal
(once all dependencies have been changed)

I'm rather busy ATM, I'll have some time in one/two week or so. During
this period I'll be looking for some information (feel free to feed me
with anything relevant here :D ) and I've found this[1] [2] hence I'm
CCing Ondrej, to avoid duplicate works / sharing comments and efforts.

Bernd already clarified something to me:

>> 4. track the progress and then fill bug reports to remove transitional
>> packages from relative source pkgs (not sure about this point, I got
>> to study a little bit more about transitional pkgs from the users
>> prospective).
>
> Transitional packages can only be removed if they were part of one
> stable release, or if their original package was never part of a stable
> release.

but any informations, suggestions, hints you can share, are welcome.
If they reach a "critical mass" I'll fork a wiki page :)

Thanks & Cheers,
Sandro

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/EtchTransitionalPackages
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package