Re: Package modifying a user-modified config file? [Bug #780797]

On 03/22/2015 08:45 AM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Chris,

Hi Holger.  :)

> On Samstag, 21. März 2015, Chris Knadle wrote:
>> understandable, and an extent to which it's a bit frightening because
>> it means I can't know what I'll be notified concerning changes to my
>> own config files and therefore how my system runs.
>
> thankfully "apt-get install etckeeper" can help with that, git hooks are
> great.
>

> cheers,
> 	Holger

I'm using etckeeper too (almost everywhere), though not with git hooks.
(I don't know git hooks yet.)  I certainly love what etckeeper does,
but IMHO it's not a replacement for a dpkg warning because the dpkg
warning happens /before/ the changes are made and gives you an
opportunity to examine the situation before allowing it to happen,
whereas etckeeper tells you about changes that have /already/ happened,
with full history.  (AFAIK)

And sshd_config is, quite literally, the very last file I ever want to
have changed without getting a warning about it first.  (It's a config
file I always customize on every system.)  I'll also soon be modifying
ssh_config too because of ... certain concerns that have arisen.

   https://stribika.github.io/2015/01/04/secure-secure-shell.html

Thanks

  -- Chris

--