Re: [RFS] r-cran-gmp

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 6:25 PM Rodrigo Carvalho <rodrigorsdc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dylan
>
> Thanks for the review.
>
> I'm a layman on license stuff, but I'm reading the GPL version 1 [1]
> and I found out a stretch that says:
>
> "Each version is given a distinguishing version number.  If the Program
> specifies a version number of the license which applies to it and "any
> later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions
> either of that version or of any later version published by the Free
> Software Foundation.  If the Program does not specify a version number of
> the license, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software
> Foundation."
>
> Note the part:
>
> "If the Program does not specify a version number of
> the license, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software
> Foundation"
>
> Neither DESCRIPTION file nor source files specify GPL version 1, they are just
> licensed as GPL without specifying a version, except the factorize.cc file which
> is GPL-3. So, we can choose the GPL-3 for the whole program, right?
>
> What do you think?
>
> thanks,
>
> Rodrigo

Thank you, Rodrigo.    Yes, I also checked the package (which was
already "there" when I joined as co-author), and it always
consistently uses  "GPL" without any version.

I've got to know my co-authors, notably the maintainer Antoine Lucas
quite a bit and I'm 100% sure that they never cared about licence
numbers; (similar to myself) they are mathematicians and researchers
who want to do science and development for the public good, and not
spend time on boring lawyer's stuff  (;-)..   Of course, I could ask
the other authors -- if it's ok to change to say GPL 3, and modify the
sources accordingly, but honestly, I'd be very happy to know we could
keep  'GPL' unversioned indeed with the intent to say
- we want GPL,
- but we don't want to deal with details, nor have to spend time on
learning why we should care more ..

Best,
Martin

--