Re: Please use branch names master / upstream / pristine-tar

Hi Andreas,

On Sun 13 Feb 2022 02:23:06 AM EST, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
when using prepare_missing_cran_package the git repository is created
with default branch name master and all tools we are using inside the
r-pkg-team are relying on this.  I tried to run routine-update on
r-cran-sets which failed due to the default branch name debian/master.

If you want to let team members upgrade this package flawlessly please
stick to the branch name master.

Fair enough.  My rationale was that frequently upstream also uses "master", and
it would simplify my workflow if my local branch names were consistent with the
remote branch names, especially for packages where I'm also active upstream
(which, admittedly, is not the case for this particular package).  So I went
with the (old) DEP-14 recommendation, although I just noticed that this
recommendation has since been changed to "debian/latest". [1]

Would you recommend that I change the default branches of all the R package
Salsa repositories that I set up to use "debian/master" so that they instead
use "master" going forward?

My apologies for causing problems!  I went ahead and uploaded the new version
of r-cran-sets to unstable.

Doug

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/dep-team/deps/-/commit/8cff331