Re: r-cran-rstan issue and r-cran-boost version [notifications@github.com: Re: [stan-dev/rstan] Does not build on 32 bit architectures any more (Issue #1032)]

On 8 March 2023 at 14:18, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Am Wed, Mar 08, 2023 at 06:28:05AM -0600 schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
| >
| > As you may know, I am upstream for BH 1.81.0-1. It reached CRAN after a month
| > of careful alignment with reverse depende on Jan 22.  That is six weeks ago.
| > I cannot do anything about you deciding not to update it sooner, sorry.
|
| $ apt showsrc r-cran-bh | grep -e ^Version -e Maintainer
| Version: 1.74.0-2
| Maintainer: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>

But that package is an 'empty shell' so that we do not need the 120mb package
BH from CRAN?

   edd@rob:~/deb/bh(master)$ cat debian/control
   Source: r-cran-bh
   Section: gnu-r
   Maintainer: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
   Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (= 11), r-base-dev (>= 4.1.1), dh-r
   Standards-Version: 4.6.0
   Vcs-Browser: https://salsa.debian.org/edd/r-cran-bh
   Vcs-Git: https://salsa.debian.org/edd/r-cran-bh.git
   Homepage: https://cran.r-project.org/package=BH

   Package: r-cran-bh
   Architecture: all
   Multi-Arch: foreign
   Depends: ${misc:Depends}, libboost-dev (>= 1.74.0)
    The CRAN package BH provides a (large) subset of Boost.  This package tricks
    R into believing BH is installed when we just depend on the distribution's
    Boost packages.  The actual set of Boost libraries could get fine-tuned. In
    short, we avoid doubling up the 140+ mb of the 'BH' package which are alredy
    in libboost-dev.
   edd@rob:~/deb/bh(master)$

In short, it has little to do with BH at CRAN (and we both once thought that
was a good idea) and depends only Debian's Boost packages. I have no control
over their release cycle. It is as we both know a pretty big package.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org