Re: R/share/make/shlib.mk not in R_HOME?

On 16 October 2023 at 17:05, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
| I tried to update r-cran-rnetcdf but failed[1].  Error message says:
|
|   make[2]: /usr/lib/R/share/make/shlib.mk: No such file or directory
|
| it comes from tools/make-recursive.sh which basically does
|
|   file=shlib.mk
|   make -f {R_HOME}/share/make/$file
|
| while
|
|   $ R RHOME
|   /usr/lib/R
|
| However
|
|   $ apt-file search share/make/shlib.mk
|   r-base-core: /usr/share/R/share/make/shlib.mk
|
| so this file is in /usr/share while it is expected in /usr/lib.
|
| Patching the script to find the file properly would be easy but I'm
| wondering whether this is something we should report upstream and
| what the reasons might be to move the file to /usr/share.

Done last week: I reported this upstream the day that package was last
updated at CRAN and the bug hit me (when reverse-dependency checking a CRAN
package of mine). It has since been fixed upstream.

https://github.com/mjwoods/RNetCDF/issues/130

It's 100% a local package bug but due to how we (and other non-Debian-derived
distros also following the Linux Filesystem Standard) do things. And using
R.home("shared") is the way around it.

Dirk (on vacation in Northern Italy)

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org