Re: Matrix update triggering need for four rebuilds

On 17 November 2023 at 23:50, Nilesh Patra wrote:

| On 17 November 2023 11:34:21 pm IST, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:

| >|
| >| To make it pretty clear: I will not simply rebuild these packages before
| >| we have a promising solution for the future.  If you do not agree with
| >| this you can either
| >|
| >|    * Ask for Bin-NMU which should be sufficient
| >|    * Do a team upload
| >
| >"Our users are our preference".  Debian Social Contract.
|
| You don't get to play this card with uncoordinated transitions.
|
| Nobody is stopping you from doing team uploads for these packages fwiw.

I tried to explain that upstream (both the package and CRAN) have no real
handle on this so it is by _definition_ what you refer to (in a denigrating
tone) an uncoordinated transition.

In which a rebuild is good enough for upstream. And I have done one for my
affected packages. My role ends there. If you guys think you must ambush your
users and leave known broken packages in that state then that is your choice.
At least you are saying so out loud.  I'll will retreat and focus on things I
can control.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org