Re: Leafnode for sarge

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:00:34PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> In gmane.linux.debian.devel.release, you wrote:
> > leafnode 1.11.1.rel-1 is already in testing. :)

> But it might need another update; 1.11.2 fixes a DoS vulnerability
> in fetchnews with relatively minor impact.

That has now been uploaded for unstable.  Quoting the upstream
changelog, the bugs in question are:

| - Fix fetchnews segfault when connection to server dies while fetchnews is
|   reading an article body (use-after-free bug).  Regression introduced into
|   leafnode v1.9.52.  Denial of service possible, see leafnode-SA-2005-01.txt.
| - Fix fetchnews segfault when connection to server dies while fetchnews is
|   reading an article header.  Regression in security fix of leafnode v1.9.48.
|   Denial of service possible, see leafnode-SA-2005-01.txt

Unfortunately, the 1.11.2 release also includes some other fixes that
aren't security related, though they can produce a noticable improvement
in the bandwidth usage in some circumstances:

| - fetchnews will no longer re-fetch the active file for a server if it
|   has been completely received even if fetching articles from this server
|   encounters a problem.  Long-standing bug.  Debian bug #70052.
| - fetchnews will now properly mark the active for complete re-fetch if it says
|   so.  Previously, it forgot the mark in some circumstances.
| - A problem fetching the active file or descriptions for a newly added server
|   will now mark the active for re-fetch even if articles have successfully
|   been retrieved from the same server.

(there is also a trivial update to the German man page, plus some fixes
for use after frees that didn't get noted in the release notes.)

I consider this second set of fixes useful and desirable but it's hard
to make a case for them being critical for sarge.  Unless the release
team is willing to make an exception due to the security issues I will
try to extract the appropriate fixes and produce a backport for sarge
over the weekend (unless of course that wouldn't be accepted either).