Re: Freeze exception for dpkg 1.14.18

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> And most of the bugs have been filed within days, and
> fixed already. It's possible that some packages were broken in more
> subtle ways not resulting in a build failure, but we still have 5 months
> to find them.

Wouldn't it be better to have 18 months to find them? This change could
have been delayed 5 months with no downside that I can see. Instead
we're left wondering how many packages might accidentially pass broken
CFLAGS into subdirectories, build successfully, and yet change behavior
in unknown ways. These bugs can be exposed at any time up till the hard
freeze as a given package is uploaded and gets recompiled for the first
time since the change.

Effectively, we've chosen "it builds -- ship it!"

--
see shy jo