Re: dash: remove unnecessary diversion of /bin/sh

Hi,

On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 12:07:52AM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:32:23 +0100 Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > MR: https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dash/-/merge_requests/19
> >
> > I think we should ship these changes in bookworm. Why?
> >
> > - we get diversion-less essential package set already in bookworm
> > - we get diversion-less uber-essential dash already in bookworm
> > - we get maintainer-script free uber-essential dash in trixie
> > - in case we need to go down the canonicalization-by-dh forced
> > migration path in trixie to lift the moratorium on moving files, we
> > don't have /bin/sh diversions as a blocker and the path remains open
> >
> > Yes, I realize it is late, and I wish I had come across this ticket
> > some months ago. But we still have time, and the benefits are great
> :-)
>
> Alright, this is now in experimental (thanks Andrej), please help with
> testing if you can!

Let me record this in email:
 * I am the primary author of these changes and still think we should
   perform them at a convenient time.
 * As far as I understand it, the main motivation from Luca is improving
   the /usr-merge transition.
 * Given that dash is one of the rare cases diverting files from itself
   rather than from other packages, I think that the benefit to the
   /usr-merge transition of doing this before bookworm is minor.
   Removing other kinds of unnecessary diversions would be more useful
   to the transition.
 * I think these changes are not in line with the freeze policy.
 * For these reasons, I recommend not trying to ship them in bookworm
   (despite removing unnecessary diversions being a good thing in
   general).
 * Breakage can happen in unexpected places (e.g. DPKG_ROOT, which is
   the origin of my work on this).
 * If you proceed in bookworm anyway, I expect you to own any kind of
   breakage that results from this (including DPKG_ROOT breakage).

And with this, I'll leave it up to you until bookworm is released.

Helmut