Re: The brief status of Debian riscv porting --2022/09/09

Hi Boyang,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 2:09 PM Zhang Boyang <zhangboyang.id@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  > The problem is that the debian RISC-V buildd team can
>  > only find 5 unmatched boards so far, one of which can
>  > only be used as a portbox[5], so 4 unmatched boards may
>  > not be enough as buildd machine. What you need to know
>  > is that building packages such as gcc will takes 2d 10+h
>  > on unmatched and we also need to give the porting team
>  > some time to deal with some of the trickier ftbfs issue
>  > during the rebuild. So, any offer for more Unmatched
>  > boards is welcome.
>
> Currently I see there a several buildd machines at [1], for example,
> rv-plct-01 ... rv-plct-08, is this situation changes or did I missed
> something?

We are currently still in the unofficial port phase where Debian
allows buildd machines
with remoting access(e.g ssh) maintained by Debian Developer. To help
with porting
to Debian riscv64, the PLCT lab[0] offers 8 Unmatched boards as
unofficial buildd
machines. But that does not satisfy the Debian DSA team's requirements for
hardware[1][2]. The biggest problem here is the request to send the
hardware to a
Debian-approved hosting center(e.g osuosl) or Debian's data
center.(here if i have a
misunderstanding please correct me )

So, if we want to step into the official port, these machinese(
rv-plct-*) will not be
used as official buildd machines. But they will also play an important
role in the official
port if we can't find enough boards.

> Nevertheless, I have a SiFive Unmatched board. I can contribute it to
> debian project if necessary.

This is excellent news! Many thanks for you.

I will bring the good news to Debian riscv64 buildd team also. There are
still some issues here that I don't know yet about personal donations
To be honest, I(we) am saddened to accept your personal donation which
will cost you money in some extern. But most importantly, you gave us
the confidence to do this. From my personal info source is, Starfive
want to help Debian r iscv64 porting also, but we have to wait for their boards
to become available and their support from kernel. So now we have to
take advantage of what is currently available Unmatched boards,
including donations, so as not to miss important windows of the bookworm.

I will contact you if there is any update.

Thank you again, really, I appreciate it.

Bo YU
BR,
[0]: https://github.com/plctlab/riscv-lab-access
[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/PortsDocs/New