Re: Contributing to RISC-V port as a Postgres contributor

On Mon, 2023-07-24 at 00:49 -0700, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

>     I would like to contribute to the development of the RISC-V port
> in general, and if there are Postgres specific contributions
> necessary, I'd be more than happy to work on it or coordinate the
> necessary work with the Postgres community.
>
>     This is my first ever interaction with any Debian mailing lists.
> So please let me know if there are other things I should also be doing
> for completeness; subscribing to other developer mailing lists,
> setting up infrastructure, etc.

Welcome to the Debian community :)

To start with I would encourage you to review these wiki pages:

https://wiki.debian.org/PortsDocs/New
https://wiki.debian.org/Ports/riscv64
https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Debbugs/ArchitectureTags

Currently the port is being rebootstrapped by the port team. Once the
buildds and CI systems have switched to the new official architecture,
keeping an eye on the riscv64 build and CI status and failures, then
sending patches to upstream/Debian, would be a great way to contribute.

https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php?a=riscv64
https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi?arch=riscv64
https://ci.debian.net/status/failing/?suite%5B%5D=unstable&arch%5B%5D=riscv64

Apart from that, if you have any bootloader, Linux kernel, mesa or
other hardware enablement experience, more upstream hardware support is
needed for newer faster hardware like VF2 or MilkV.

There are lots of other ideas for improving ports on the first wiki
page listed above and status of those on the riscv64 status page.

PostgreSQL itself looks fine on riscv64, both build and tests pass.
Perhaps there is room for optimisations, maybe using runtime
instruction selection mechanisms to enable RVV usage or similar.

https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=postgresql-15
https://ci.debian.net/packages/p/postgresql-15/
https://wiki.debian.org/InstructionSelection

I note that PostgreSQL has a compile farm with two riscv64 build
servers, it seems like those need upgrading since the page says they
run the Debian oldstable/bullseye (but that had no riscv64 release).

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/

You may wish to attend the annual Debian conference. This year it will
be held in Kochi, Kerala, India. Unfortunately there is a limit of 300
in-person attendees this year, but talks will be streamed.

https://debconf23.debconf.org/
https://debconf23.debconf.org/news/2023-06-12-registration-and-cfp-are-open/

There are lots of other ways to help Debian, some listed here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

--
bye,
pabs