Re: Near-upstream kernel for VisionFive2

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 04:57:11PM +0530, Pratham Patel wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 at 16:33, Baptiste Jonglez
> <baptiste@bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:
> >
> > We're trying to build a system that is as close as possible to upstream
> > for the VisionFive2.  Here "upstream" means both Debian and Linux kernel.
> >
> > The current progress is here: https://framagit.org/compile-farm/debian-risc-v-build
> >
> > The main blockers right now are NVMe and networking.  Did anybody have
> > success with these with a reasonable kernel config?
>
> The PCIe patches for the VisionFive2 are not merged yet[0]. Therefore,
> the NVMe drive not working at the moment is expected. As for the
> networking, I am unsure why it isn't working. As the first step of
> troubleshooting, can you make sure that `CONFIG_DWMAC_STARFIVE` is
> enabled?

I have seen similar networking issues on my VF2; I've had some luck with
a stable connection by bringing up networking within u-boot before
booting the kernel, but not had time to dig further into why the kernel
was not capable of bringing things up fully on its own.

> [0]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20231020104341.63157-1-minda.chen@starfivetech.com/

J.

--
   101 things you can't have too   |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer
  much of : 39 - silver bullets.   | : :' :  Happy to accept PGP signed