Re: Near-upstream kernel for VisionFive2

On 25-10-23, Pratham Patel wrote:
> > > As for the networking, I am unsure why it isn't working. As the first
> > > step of troubleshooting, can you make sure that `CONFIG_DWMAC_STARFIVE`
> > > is enabled?
> >
> > It does, I'm using the same config as the Debian kernel + a few custom
> > config items, see here:
> >
> >   https://framagit.org/compile-farm/debian-risc-v-build
>
> I did check the repository, and it indeed has
> `CONFIG_DWMAC_STARFIVE=m` but my question being that sometimes Kbuild
> will "restart" config or that `make oldconfig`/`make olddefconfig`
> unset `CONFIG_DWMAC_STARFIVE`. To see what really got built, the
> configuration file either _after the build_ or in the `.deb` package
> is the only thing that I would trust.

Yes, the kernel config system can be a bit troublesome.  But I had checked
that DWMAC_STARFIVE is still there in the final config.

Actually, looking at the upstream DTS, I believe I've found the issue: the
Ethernet PHY has properties such as "motorcomm,tx-clk-1000-inverted", but
the motorcomm driver is not built in the Debian kernel config.

I've rebuilt the kernel after adding CONFIG_MOTORCOMM_PHY=m to the config
and now the network is working properly:

  https://framagit.org/compile-farm/debian-risc-v-build/-/blob/main/config-riscv64-local?ref_type=heads

> If you do a `make bindeb-pkg`, it will do a `make olddefconfig`[0]
> before building other targets. Taking a detour to cite my argument, it
> appears that this was removed[1] after 6.5.0.
>
> [0]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/scripts/package/mkdebian?h=v6.5.9&id=d55571c0084465f1f7e1e29f22bd910d366a6e1d#n279
> [1]: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/scripts/package/mkdebian?h=v6.6-rc7&id=d9287ea8ffc9be2ab4c81c32e1ca54478425ba38

Interesting.  I'm already running olddefconfig before building, so it
shouldn't change anything.

> I'm also in the middle of creating an image as we speak, with 100%
> upstream code. (Although, with Arch Linux.) I will report back with my
> findings. Might take a long time, building on the VF2 is quite slow :)

I'm cross-compiling :)