Rails 3.2 sessions broken with Rack 1.5

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 03:20:55PM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 06/04/2013 09:26 AM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 10:38:29AM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> >>But given that sid has ruby1.8 and ruby1.9.1, and you appear to be
> >>doing the early work towards rails 4.0 (excellent!), why not make
> >>both ruby-rack1.5 and ruby-rack1.6 available?
> >
> >Having multiple versions of anything is a pain, and I think we should
> >making that problem even bigger.
>
> Well, we have a problem then.  As a hunch, while trying to reproduce
> the following problem:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2013/06/msg00056.html
>
> ... I went back to my "host" machine, reran those instructions using
> rails 3.2, then updated actionpack to require version 1.5.2 of rack,
> and I got the same symptoms I am seeing on Debian sid.
>
> The problem seems to be that request methods used to return symbols,
> and now return strings.  This causes some lookups to fail
> Resulting, in among other things, session being nil in tests.

True. Rack 1.5 actually breaks Rails 3.2 session management.

The commit in Rails 4 that upgrades to Rack 1.5 does not look
complicated:
https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/7d624e0e8cfa3adffd8f475e3588d83f3b367c24

I even managed to backport the change to the test support so your
minimal test case works with it, but the rest of the patch is too
different from the code in 3.2. I'd appreciate any help there.

If we don't find a sollution for this we will probably need to add a
rack1.4 package for use with rails3.2 ... :-(

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>