Re: Logstash: ruby gems in a jar

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 05:55:26PM -0700, Rodrigo De Castro wrote:
> Hey - I started giving Logstash packaging a try and wanted to check
> something with you.
>
> Logstash has a Makefile that does the whole thing, but the concern is that
> it downloads all Ruby gems into a directory, which is then packaged into a
> jar. Here I understand that during build we should not be downloading
> anything during the package build process.
>
> What is the suggestion here? Would I need to make sure all these gems have
> their own packages and then change the Makefile to copy the packaged
> version into the jar?

Embedding dependencies is bad practice. If there is an upgrade in any of
those dependencies, you want that dependency to be upgradable without
also ugrading your own package. Also, even though the Debian Ruby
packages make Rubygems see them as gems, they are not really gems.

You would need to package the dependencies, then make Logstash work like
any other Ruby application should: just doing `require 'foo'` and not
caring about how foo was installed.

But from what I read on the source repository Logstash seems to be
JRuby-specific (is that the case?), and JRuby (maintained by the Java
team) does not even work with the Debian Ruby packages. If Logstash is
really JRuby-specific, at this point it's not really possible to have it
in Debian.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>