Re: Problems with packaging rubygem dashing

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply.

Do you still have issues with packaging dashing?

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Philipp Fromme
<philipp.fromme@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having problems packaging a ruby software called dashing
> (http://dashing.io/ or https://github.com/Shopify/dashing).
>
> I am using gem2deb to build the basic package and changed the configuration
> a bit to make the package work. What I basicly did was including the needed
> rubygems in the dependencies section of the control file and using the
> respective debian packages of the needed gems. The only gem I haven’t found
> as a debian package is installed with a postinst script which basicly issues
> a gem install. Other than that, I have included the needed directories (bin,
> javascripts, lib and templates with /var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.4/
> as $DESTDIR) and a “dh_ruby –install” command in the rules file and some
> files in source/include-binaries.

Is this package to be included in Debian? If so you need to package that gem
and use that.

> So the build process works fine and the installation process also, but when
> it comes to running the software that was installed by my created package,
> there are some flaws. First of all, the bin, javascript, templates and lib
> data is installed in the var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/dashing-1.3.4/ directory
> (which is also done if you install dashing by gem command without my
> package), but the files created in /usr/…/ (which are created by the dh_ruby
> –install) don’t have their dependencies set to the /var/lib/…/ directory
> files, which seems to be needed for the software to work.
>
> This means when I am issuing the command to create a new dashboard project
> (dashing new PROJECTNAME), the software looks for the templates directory to
> see which files are needed to create a new project and as the
> /usr/bin/dashing is used, it looks for the templates directory in
> /usr/templates where it obviously is not located.

Maybe you need to patch the upstream source to look in the correct place?

For inspiration, have a look at e.g.

    http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-ruby-extras/ruby-pygments.rb.git/tree/debian/patches/0006-Invoke-mentos-directly-on-GNU-Linux.patch

--
Per