Re: ruby-mini-magick build failure on jessie

Hey,

On 02/10/19 7:05 am, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Whilst working on one of the CVEs, I found out that ruby-mini-magick
> doesn't build on Jessie (part of LTS).
> Package could be found here[1] and the relevant .dsc could be found
> here[2].
>
> While building, one of the tests fails:
>
> expected no Exception, got #<MiniMagick::Error: Command ("identify
> -quiet -ping /tmp/mini_magick20190925-3686-3v99mo.psd") failed:
> {:status_code=>1, :output=>""}> with backtrace:
>
> Complete logs: https://paste.debian.net/1103565/
>
> I guess it is working fine on Stretch.
> Not sure what's wrong, any clue?

Just posting my findings here.

I guess the original version of ruby-mini-magick and the imagemagick in
Jessie were working fine together.
However, something messed up in imagemagick later on (not yet sure what
it was).
Following the upstream commits from 2014, 15, and 16, I found out that
they removed PSD tests in this commit[3] (just after the release of the
version in Jessie) because imagemagick stopped supporting it by default
from 6.9.0.
However, the version of imagemagick in Jessie is 6.8.9.9-5+deb8u17. So I
guess that should work but given the additional "deb8u17", I suspect
something messed up there which fails the ruby-mini-magick's test.
Furthermore, PSD is a proprietary piece of software.

Thus,
I don't think we actually need that here and can be safely
disabled/patched because of the above reasons and it is not something
big that needs to be tested with.

Before I proceed and upload the change, I hope to get an "ack" from at
least one of you.
Looking forward to your suggestions and opinions.

> [1]: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/ruby-mini-magick
> [2]:
> http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/ruby-mini-magick/ruby-mini-magick_3.8.1-1.dsc

Best,