Re: [Backport - arch-dependent package] ruby-nokogiri

On 2019, ഒക്‌ടോബർ 28 4:12:44 PM IST, Utkarsh Gupta <guptautkarsh2102@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey,
>
>On 28/10/19 1:20 pm, Nilesh wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I had been trying to backport ruby-nokogiri, as it is one of the many
>> dependencies of gitlab-12.2.8, and hence needs backporting in order
>> backport gitlab.
>> However, it fails with the error:
>>
>> <snip>
>> dwz:
>>
>debian/ruby-nokogiri/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ruby/vendor_ruby/2.5.0/nokogiri/nokogiri.so:
>> Found compressed .debug_aranges section, not attempting dwz
>compression
>> dh_dwz: dwz -q --
>>
>debian/ruby-nokogiri/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ruby/vendor_ruby/2.5.0/nokogiri/nokogiri.so
>> returned exit code 1
>> make: *** [debian/rules:9: binary] Error 1
>> dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary subprocess
>> returned exit status 2
>>
>> (pushed my changes to:
>https://salsa.debian.org/gi-boi-guest/ruby-nokogiri/)
>>
>> It is due to debhelper version 12, and changing it to 11 its solves
>the
>> issue. So, should the compat level be changed to 11, and be
>uploaded(but
>> that will be too much work for backporting all arch dependent
>packages)
>> or should ruby be backported in order to resolve the issue? It would
>be
>> great if it could be clarified.
>
>From what I know and what we discussed on IRC, I think there are two
>ways to go about this.
>First, either downgrade the version of dh-compat to 11 while
>backporting
>each package, or
>Second, backport ruby2.5 2.5.5-4 (because it contains the fix).||||||
>
>However, given that there are many packages that'd be having the same
>problems while backporting,
>I'd be a +1 for backporting 2.5.5-4 (or 2.5.7-1) to buster-backports.
>
>What would other's opinion on this be?

I think its fine to backport as there is no soname change and we don't need to rebuild any native extensions (so no impact on existing packages). I'm wondering if 2.5.5-4 is suitable for a stable update as it'd mean we don't need to bump minimum ruby version for packages we need back porting.