Re: More rustup

On April 25, 2022 7:40 pm, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Hi,
>

> <preamble>
> On computer with hostname `trancilo` has user `gs0604` a working Rust
> environment. It is a `rustup` install, not a Debian install.
>
> At host `trancilo` is Rust for esp32 wanted. An Xtensa esp32, not a new
> Risc-V esp32 like the esp32-C3. The Xtensa architecture is (currently?)
> not supported in LLVM. At https://esp-rs.github.io/book/dependencies/installing-rust.html#xtensa-esp32-esp32-s2-esp32-s3
> is documented how build such Rust.
>
> To prevent that the working Rust for user `gs0604` gets destroyed,
> is user `stappers` also installing Rust with `rustup`.
> </preamble>
>

> What I encountered:
> (and at bottom my actual questions)
>
> <screenshot>
> gs0604@trancilo:~
> $ su - stappers
> Wachtwoord:
> stappers@trancilo:~
> $ rustup
> -bash: rustup: opdracht niet gevonden
> stappers@trancilo:~
> $ curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | sh
> info: downloading installer
> curl: (56) OpenSSL SSL_read: Verbinding is weggevallen, errno 104
> rustup: command failed: downloader https://static.rust-lang.org/rustup/dist/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/rustup-init /tmp/tmp.Xg5If9ALC1/rustup-init x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> stappers@trancilo:~
> $ curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | sh
> info: downloading installer
> warning: it looks like you have an existing installation of Rust at:
> warning: /usr/bin
> warning: rustup should not be installed alongside Rust. Please uninstall your existing Rust first.
> warning: Otherwise you may have confusion unless you are careful with your PATH
> warning: If you are sure that you want both rustup and your already installed Rust
> warning: then please reply `y' or `yes' or set RUSTUP_INIT_SKIP_PATH_CHECK to yes
> warning: or pass `-y' to ignore all ignorable checks.
> error: cannot install while Rust is installed
>
> Continue? (y/N)
>
> error: cannot install while Rust is installed
> stappers@trancilo:~
> $ ls -l /usr/bin/rust
> ls: kan geen toegang krijgen tot '/usr/bin/rust': Bestand of map bestaat niet

this checks the wrong path - 'existing installation of Rust' refers to
either `rustc` or `cargo` being in $PATH (except for paths containing
`.cargo`, which are assumed to be rustup-managed)[0].

> stappers@trancilo:~
> $ curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | sh -x
>
> [..]
>
> Should the false positive on installed rust be reported upstream?

I don't really see a false positive so far? please double check what's
in $PATH ;)

> Should there be a Debian packaged alternative to the
>
>   curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | sh

see 1,2 (WIP, stalled)

0: https://github.com/rust-lang/rustup/blob/master/src/cli/self_update.rs#L497
1: https://salsa.debian.org/rust-team/debcargo/-/issues/34