Re: DebianScience Unofficial Repository

Hi,

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> (2008-08-04 22:19:21) :
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Frederic Lehobey wrote:

> >working on something similar in free software for Debian, maybe in a
> >Google Summer of Code project -- or Debian mentors).
>
> I fail to see any reason not to use mentors.

  As much as I know, mentors is only dealing with source packages (and
not binary ones). The idea of the repository would have been more
something like http://backports.org/ (that is running its own dak)
where instead of been picked from unstable, the packages would have
been picked from third parties web pages... (I mean, in the meanwhile
before being suitable for main).

  The Google Summer of Code I had in mind is debexpo:
http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2008/debexpo
(I do not know how far is this project currently).

>                                              I have seen this kind of effort
> dying to often in the past to call it reasonable.  Just try to stick to
> the existing infra structure as much as possible - it just saves your time.

  I wholeheartedly subscribe to this.

> Mentors + mentioning the package as unofficial package in the tasks files
> should do the intended job reasonably well.

  Well, maybe not on the binary package question yet. But there is
nothing that is not finally solved by time (interesting packages
will end up in main in any case).

Best regards,
Frédéric