Problems with packaging qtiplot

Hi
    I am wondering if the debian-science list can help me with a problem I do
have with one of my packages, qtiplot. It is unfortunately terribly outdated,
partly because of lack of time and partly because of complications with the
upstream qwtplot3d.
http://packages.qa.debian.org/q/qtiplot.html
http://packages.qa.debian.org/q/qwtplot3d.html

The upstream sources are of qtiplot are shipped with 3dparty libraries but I
have changed it in order to depend on libraries shipped with Debian. Now the
3dparty qwtplot3d library is heavily changed that the only way is to ship the
package with static qwtplot3d. My current sponsor is reluctant to sponsor the
package with static libraries and I agree with him that there is the danger
that a short time fix may end up as a permanent solution.

On the qwtplot3d mailing list, I have discussed the solution to make a new
source package of qwtplot3d from the upcoming branch (multiple_curves) that
can coexist with the current version in Debian and works with Qtiplot.  Since
the feature set of the upcoming branch isn't decided yet, this proposal was
turned down.
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=1516541086.20090512183909%40traits.de&forum_name=qwtplot3d-interest

I think the only solution is to use qwtplot3d as a static library. Does anyone
have another idea for a solution?

Is there anyone willing to sponsor the package? I will try to become a DD
myself when I grow up :)

Cheers
Gudjon