Re: You can now check BibTeX file obtained from debian/upstream files

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > ultimate use case -- tool which given a list of packages returns list of
> > bibliography entries ready for use in a publication.
> I could imagine several ways to answer this question (my prefered way
> would be to use UDD).  Doing this based on the information in the BibTeX
> file is IMHO a misuse of the BibTeX database:  BibTeX was invented to
> manage citations for LaTeX texts - it was not invented to obtain
> information about Debian packages.

hm... [cut my previous, ironic version of the reply]
wasn't it "invented" to cite the software provided by Debian packaging?
if so, association with the packages is imho quite relevant there then

> So while it would be pretty simple to add the field you were asking for
> to the BibTeX file you need better arguments to convince me to do
> something that could be done with a pretty simple UDD query way more
> reliably.

users + UDD == confusion

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences