Re: autodep8 for R packages?

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 07:44:50PM +0200, Gordon Ball wrote:
> This is my understanding. From [4] "If debian/tests/control is absent,
> the autodep8 tool can generate an automatic control file.", so anything
> with existing test rules should not be affected.

Sounds sensible.

> > As an enhancement I would suggest to detect what test suite of R
> > packages might be used by the package (testthat, ...) and run this one.
> > This might enable more sophisticated testing.
>
> I agree that this would be valuable (much more scope to catch subtle
> regressions than this test), but actually doing it seems difficult
> today. I read #752609, and it seems to me that a universal way of
> running tests is difficult while DESCRIPTION::Suggests are not uniformly
> translated into debian dependencies.

The packager could (should?) decide to add stronger dependency if a
package is needed for running a test.

> You can try various test-system specific heuristics (eg, `grep testthat
> tests/*.R && grep-dctrl -F Suggests testthat DESCRIPTION`, if so run
> those files with additional dependency r-cran-testthat), but awkward
> corner cases seem likely. Some flag for preventing test generation would
> also be needed.

This might be needed anyway.

> > PS: BTW, I'd consider the Build-Time tests (see #752609) as similarly
> > important to CI tests.
>
> I think the requirement is the same. If a package can run build-time
> tests (and hence there is a mechanism for running them, and ensuring the
> dependencies are available), then this can be fairly easily translated
> into a CI target.

I think adding dependencies for full testing as Build-Depends is pretty
cheap if there would be a chance to run the tests.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de