Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 13:28:48 -0500 (CDT)
To: R-devel@r-project.org
Subject: [Rd] R-devel object header changes that require reinstalling packages

For anyone using the development version of R:

svn revision 73243 introduces some changes to the memory layout of R
objects that require reinstalling packages using compiled
code. Attempting to load incompatible packages should signal an
error. These changes are to support a new extension framework for
basic R objects
(https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/ALTREP/ALTREP.html outlines the
framework).  Merging the remainder of the framework should not
introduce more binary changes and is expected to occur in the next few
months.

Best,

luke

--