Re: joining the science team to package spaCy & gensim

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 07:57:22AM +0000, Mo Zhou wrote:
> > I will do that, are there any guidelines for which team to use for
> > specific packages or should I ask on the list(s) about it?
>
> No, there is no such guideline since debian science team reuses the
> maintainer mail address (alioth) of debian science team.
>
> I tend to put things dedicated for machine/deep learning to the deep
> learning team. General stuff to science team.
>
> > One other issue I encountered is outdated embedded code copies
> > (specifically cython-blis has a copy of blis), I'd like to solve that
> > upstream, do have a GitHub account and would you mind if I CCed you on
> > any GitHub issues that I file about this?
>
> The BLIS API and ABI are relatively stable IIRC, so I guess
> disentangling the embedded BLIS should be feasible. Apart from that,
> just feel free to CC me https://github.com/cdluminate

I'm fine with whatever repository is used (deeplearning[1] or science).
In my understanding Debian Science was always a place where new teams
could be evolve from (like we have seen in Debian Astro for instance).
I could even imagine a Deep Learning Blend with an on set of
metapackages.

However, I would love some kind of consistency in the sense that those
packages in Debian Science that qualify for deep learning topic should
be moved to a single place where people expect them to be.  The idea why
I'm in favour of this idea is that we could attract more deep learning
experts if we show that Debian really cares for this topic and a team
has formed around this.

Back to the topic:  I'd be really happy if we could get spaCy in but
my time is to limited to spent a lot of effort into it.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/deeplearning-team

--