packaging wgrib2

Hi there,
I have started packaging wgrib2 [1] the swiss army knife for grib2
files. I have a couple of questions:

1. wgrib2 comes with its own build system. I followed the fedora effort
and managed to short-cut it. What is the best way of calling pkg-config
in the rules file?

2. wgrib2 is a large project with many contributors. It is mostly
public domain. What's the best way of sorting out the copyright file?

Once those issues are resolved I will need a sponsor. My current
efforts are on salsa [2]

Regards
magnus

[1] https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/wgrib2
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.