Re: can I safely use dpkg from sid on bookworm?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 10:08:16AM +0100, Christophe Trophime wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to build packages for the upcoming jammy Ubuntu release
> I've setup a private depot for these package
>
> When publishing the repo, I end with error like that:
>
> dpkg-deb: error: archive 'jammy_pool/main/mmg-doc_5.5.2-2.2_all.deb' uses unknown compression for member 'control.tar.zst', giving up
> dpkg-scanpackages: error: couldn't parse control information from jammy_pool/main/mmg-doc_5.5.2-2.2_all.deb
>
> It seems that this issue has been fixed with latest dpkg (aka 1.21)
> My question is can I use an update dpkg version from sid on my bookworm system?

Hi Christophe,

Ubuntu != Debian. They do things differently there and have their own policies
and guidance. Anything Debian folks can tell you about Ubuntu may only be best
endeaavours information and help because we could always be very wrong :)

Given that Ubuntu will normally pull at least some packages from Sid/Unstable -
you could potentially do it with an all-Sid system. I'd check with the
Ubuntu release managers.

You might be better with an all-Ubuntu Jammy machine / virtual
machine. The standard Debian advice is, as ever,
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

With Sid/Unstable especially - if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces :)

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater