Re: Request to review and upload unhide 20210124-4

Hello Samuel,

> It looks like you're not importing the new releases with "gbp
> import-orig", as the commit adding the new sources to debian/master is
> not a merge commit and the description looks different, I suggest
> always importing new upstream releases with "gbp import-orig --uscan
> --pristine-tar".
> The commit in the upstream branch is also not tagged, gbp would tag
> that for you (and sign it if properly configured).
> I have tagged it myself to avoid the round trip.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I used 'gbp import-orig' for updating the source code,
but things went weird while I was manually tinkering with my local unhide git repository - modifying commits , rebasing commits, etc.
I think, as you mentioned, I have to stick to the gbp command rather than modifying commits or creating upstream/pristine-tar tags manually.

> So this issue can't be solved by upstream, we will have to keep this
> in the packaging for a bit, I'm thinking it should be fine to remove
> it after bookworm gets released.
> Oh, I didn't get to reply to this part before, sorry, but the as I
> mentioned above, the new upstream release doesn't address the
> Replaces+Breaks issue, that's on the packaging side.

Got it. Now I have a better understanding of the problem.
Thanks for helping me make the source package better.

Best,
Fukui

On Fri, 2 Sept 2022 at 22:35, Samuel Henrique <samueloph@debian.org> wrote:
Hello Fukui,

> # But if you don't mind, please call me Fukui as you did in the latest email ;)

Surely, thanks for letting me know.

> I have updated the draft source package of unhide.
> Kindly find the source code for this version below.
> https://salsa.debian.org/dfukui/unhide/-/tree/debian/master

Great.

> The main changes from the previous draft are:
> * New upstream version 20220611

It looks like you're not importing the new releases with "gbp
import-orig", as the commit adding the new sources to debian/master is
not a merge commit and the description looks different, I suggest
always importing new upstream releases with "gbp import-orig --uscan
--pristine-tar".
The commit in the upstream branch is also not tagged, gbp would tag
that for you (and sign it if properly configured).
I have tagged it myself to avoid the round trip.

> * Drop Replaces+Breaks

So this issue can't be solved by upstream, we will have to keep this
in the packaging for a bit, I'm thinking it should be fine to remove
it after bookworm gets released.

>> Okay, now I understand what Replaces+Breaks should be like in this case.
>> In fact, I initially had a plan to address such two issues as #1016613 and the new upstream step by step.
>> That said, it looks like uploading the new upstream would also address the Replaces+Breaks issue.

Oh, I didn't get to reply to this part before, sorry, but the as I
mentioned above, the new upstream release doesn't address the
Replaces+Breaks issue, that's on the packaging side.

I have sponsored the package and pushed the commits (I have done some
changes to the changelog), thanks for contributing!

Regards,

--
Samuel Henrique <samueloph>