Re: Setting up VPN's

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Noah Meyerhans wrote:

> I don't think it's possible to *need* opportunistic encryption.  By its
> very nature it's unreliable.  You have no guarantee that you've got an
> IPsec session with a given host, so you really can't rely on
> opportunistic encryption to provide you with any security.

Very true.

The point of opportunistic encryption is to increase the use of IPsec
net-wide. The general idea being that, if two random hosts can, they
should without manual intervention. I think this is a great goal, in
the general sense, much like opportunistic compression to save
bandwidth, as seen in such things as mod_gzip for Apache.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on