Re: Hacked - is it my turn? - interesting

* Quoting Phillip Hofmeister (plhofmei@zionlth.org):

> As mentioned before, it is a port-scanner.  Anyhow, TCP-Reset cans turn

Ack.

> a asymmetric DoS attack/flood (one-way) into an symmetric DoS/flood
> because now your host is generating traffic by replying to these
> otherwise useless packets.  You could set a limit rule on sending a

A DoS attack is a different scenario than a port
scan. In normal situation you create more load
cause of the TCP-retransmission.

> TCP-Reset..I know.  I am not one that enjoys people breaking RFCs, but
> in this case it does make *some* sense.  If someone is randomly port
> scanning class C's and they hit your IP, get no response from an ICMP
> (1) echo-request (8) and then try a few ports and get no TCP-Resets,
> they are likely to think you are a dead IP[1].

You would get a ICMP host-unreachable from the
last router in that case.

- Rolf