Re: using sarge on production machines

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 04:40:56AM -0800, Harry wrote:
> --- Marc Haber <mh+debian-security@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > What does this gain you? A compomised uml is as bad as a compromised
> > system.
>
> I can wipe the UML if the host has not been compromised. This saves me
> a journey to the location where the host is stored and ?75 quid to get
> to the machine to reinstall the host.
>
> If I have ten customers running various falvours of Debian in their UML
> its sods law that eventually one of them is going to be cracked. If I
> can prevent (as much as feasbly possible) this from spilling onto the
> host then it saves me a lot of work.

Nice idea. However, if somebody roots one of the UML installation,
that somebody can probably escape out of the UML and gain user
privileges on the host system and then use one of the numerous kernel
vulnerabilities (I have long lost track of them) to escalate to root
on the host system.

I am quite sceptical about using UML to allow security flaws in UMLled
system components.

Greetings
Marc