Re: Packet sniffing & regular users

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 18.57, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Brian Kim:
> > [snip]
> > solution, what sorts of security concerns does it present, aside from
> > the obvious "anyone can see anything" sort of concern?
>
> Do you understand what "anyone can see anything" really means?  Have
> you pumped tcpdump output into ethereal lately?
>
> "anyone can see anything" really means "anyone can see anything".
> Think about it.  And what's the real reason why you don't want to
> bother with sudo?

In many scenarios, you can assume that everybody already is easily able to
see anything anyway: wireless networks; people can easily bring their
laptop and loop it into the uplink from the switch under the table etc.

Yes, there's still a difference between users to be able to see anything
'just so' and users having to bring their own hardware - but I think we're
far gone from the days where only the sacred people in the white robes
dared touch a network cable...

-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys